* Outfitting screen is complete; just needs proper linkage to the combat system and server.
* Reworked the defense setup screen to be more intuitive / informative.
That doesn't sound like much, but it was actually a pretty grueling week, particularly the outfitting screen. It was definitely more work than I had anticipated.
The pending holiday weekend will probably limit my productivity in the coming week, so don't expect too much (which is a rather grim statement, considering how light on content this post is).
When you finally switch back to the old pair, it's just not the same. Sure, it's familiar, but as you squeeze your foot back in, it pinches your toes, chafes your heel, and you could swear that a sharp, intangible little rock had taken up residence inside.
This has more or less been my experience with my current project. The seemingly endless period of prototyping, feeling out the combat system, has finally come full circle. Coming back to the core game, I find myself entrenched in an almost hostile environment, my jilted base game bitter, and slow to forgive.
But, in spite of how grim that sounds, hopes are high.
The attributes are implemented (even if the numbers do need extensive work) for all of the enemies that made the cut. The combat engine is in the main game and is properly linked to it.
Rejoice, for the entire skeleton of the game is in place! Ship building, art and number balancing are the only major hurdles remaining, all of which are being tended to.
After that, it's simply a matter of getting some early testing in before this reaches an "open beta" state. Everyone is invited and encouraged (in some cases, begged) to participate at that point. I expect to be there in 1-2 weeks.
If you would like to participate in the earliest phase of testing, leave a comment here or contact me directly and I'll get you onboard.
I'm also breaking my promise of screenshots. Again. The sad truth is that you'll probably be playing it before I bother to post another screen. We've reached the final push, so don't lose hope!
* There are no delicious screenshots to be had.
* The combat engine has not been added to the main project.
That said, I have a mixed bag of news.
* Bad: My Xbox 360 ate it hard (E74).
* Good: This means I'll have more free time for gamedev!
* Bad: It's out of warranty and I can't afford to fix it.
* Good: I'll have that extra free time for a while!
* Bad: My clever 360 dev plans have been quashed.
* Good: ..I can't really see how this is good. I am sad.
It's not all bad news, though. The enemy implementations are complete, as projected. And, part of the reason why the combat engine hasn't been fused with the core game is because I decided to add the adjustable attribute stuff to the engine *before* I move it instead of afterward. This makes initial testing significantly easier and will ultimately result in an earlier completion date.
Look forward to next week when I more-than-likely post overdue screenshots and the attribute system is fully integrated.
Next week's goals: finish the enemy implementations and add the combat engine to the project trunk. Also, I'd like to put up some screens to keep McGrue's jaw flapping in check.